Histotech-Unregistered - Intermountain Medical Center - PRN
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
Salt Lake City
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And itâ€™s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary
Being a part of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
Under the direction of the supervisor/manager, the Unregistered Histotechnician learns to organize and manage the flow of anatomic pathology specimens through the laboratory, from specimen receipt through preparation of final diagnostic slides.
Essential Job Duties
1. Develops a comprehensive knowledge of the principles of histology and autopsy service.
2. Performs processing, embedding, microtomy, frozen section cryotomy and staining, and routine and special stains appropriately and in a timely manner.
3. Troubleshoots and repairs instrumentation as stated within standard operating procedures.
4. Participates in laboratory accreditation inspections.
5. Performs and documents routine preventive maintenance on equipment, resolves problems as they arise.
6. Monitors QA indicators such as temperatures, instrument failures, etc., and takes corrective action when standards are not met.
7. Performs and documents appropriate Quality Control procedures and demonstrates the ability to resolve problems.
8. Assists the pathologists in the performance of autopsies including permit and paperwork review, patient identification, instrument set up, body preparation, evisceration, removal and weighing of organs, photography, obtaining special radiographs, and preparation of the patient for release to designated funeral home.
9. Verifies specimen identity, labeling, submission information.
10. Assists with surgical pathology gross examination, including description, dictation, and sampling for histology, and photography. (Note: must meet high complexity testing requirements outlined by CAP and CLIA to perform this job essential.)
11. Provides technical information and assistance to physicians and hospital personnel for specimen submission, triage and special testing (under supervision of supervisor or pathologist).
12. Manages specimen archives (wet tissue, frozen tissue, paraffin blocks, slides). Includes filing and maintenance of slides, blocks, and other specimens.
13. Arranges specimen radiography.
14. Obtains and stores specimens for special procedures.
15. Prepares and sends out tissues samples for reference laboratory tests.
16. Maintains space and supplies for autopsy and surgical pathology.
Entry Rate: $16.73
PRN - No guaranteed hours/shifts - Typical shifts to cover are between 4-8 hours. Start of shifts can range from 7 pm-7 am Monday - Friday. Must be able to work graveyard.
Not Benefits Eligible
Associates degree in a physical science (E.g. biology, chemistry, physics) with no prior experience. Degree must be obtained through an accredited institution. Education is ~~~ Currently enrolled in the second year of a physical science associates degree program with expected completion of exam within ASCP standards ~~~ Currently enrolled in an accredited school of histotechnology and has not yet passed the ASCP Board of Registry exam for Histotehnicians
Flexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends, holidays, nights, and on-call.
Interact with others requiring the employee to verbally communicate information.
Operate computers and complex and delicate lab equipment requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
See and read lab equipment, monitors, and documents.
Remain sitting or standing for long periods of time to perform work on a computer or other equipment.
Experience in a histology laboratory
College-level course work in human anatomy
Experience performing human autopsies
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 0
Primary Work Location Intermountain Medical Center
Job Type On-Call / PRN